Components of the project
The project consists of three components.
- Development of the Transboundary Diagnostic Analysis (TDA, an analogue of the description of the status of the river basin according to Article 5 of the EU Water Framework Directive);
- Assessment of the impact of the Dniester on the Black Sea;
- Analysis of nitrate and phosphorus pollution (under the Nitrates Directive);
- Follow-on development of the automated water balance system;
- Inventory of tailing dams in the Dniester Basin (under the Mining Waste Directive);
- Development of projects for adaptation to climate change in THE Odessa region.
- Development of a joint bilateral action plan (SAP) for the Dniester River Basin (analogous to the elements of the basin management plan under the EU Water Framework Directive);
- Support of the work of the national basin councils and the bilateral (Moldova-Ukraine) Dniester Basin Commission;
- Work on hydropower issues in the Dniester Basin (including the development of recommendations for the updated draft rules for the operation of the Dniester reservoirs).
- Support of the joint monitoring and data sharing;
- Flood risk determination;
- Demo projects (including river restoration);
- Awareness raising (Dniester Day, art contest “Colours of the Dniester”, joint expeditions, etc.)
The project supports the implementation at the national level of a number of EU directives that are included into the association agreements between the EU and Moldova, between the EU and Ukraine, namely (selectively):
- Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes (Water Convention);
- Convention on Wetlands of International Importance especially as Waterfowl Habitat (Ramsar Convention);
- Convention on the Protection of the Black Sea against Pollution (Bucharest Convention);
- Directive 2000/60 / EC establishing a framework for community action in the field of water policy (Water Framework Directive);
- Directive 91/676/ЕС concerning the protection of waters against pollution caused by nitrates from agricultural sources (Nitrates Directive);
- Directive 2006/21/EC on the management of waste from the extractive industries;
- Directive 2008/56/ЕС establishing a framework for community action in the field of marine environmental policy (Marine Strategy Framework Directive);
- Directive 2007/60/ЕС on the assessment and management of flood risks (Floods Directive).