Flood control, ecosystem restoration and emergency issues in the Dniester basin
Posted on 20.08.2019
The GEF project continues to involve leading experts from Moldova and Ukraine for sustainable development of the Dniester River basin.
At the end of July, meetings of working groups on ecosystems and biodiversity, on emergency situations and an expert meeting on flood risk management were held in Ukraine and Moldova.
Within the framework of the meeting on flood risk management in the Dniester River basin, the GEF Dniester project experts together with representatives of the project on development of flood risk management plan in Moldova and the experts from the Italian company Beta Studio discussed a preliminary assessment of flood risks and mapping of the list of territories with potentially significant flood risks in Ukraine, and also got acquainted with the experience of preliminary assessment of flood risks, mapping and development of a risk management plan in Moldova.
The meeting of the Moldovan-Ukrainian working group on emergency situations of the Dniester Commission resulted in the discussion of the development plan of hazard and flood risks maps, as well as draft plans for managing these risks, taking into account climate change and an increase in average flood water up to 20%. Participants noted the importance of conducting joint exercises to prevent emergencies in transboundary territories. The meeting of the working group on ecosystems and biodiversity set the ground for priority measures for the conservation of the Dniester aquatic organisms. Thus, experts determined that the main problems today are invasive species, drainage of swamps and wetlands and intensive farming in coastal areas. To solve these and other problems, it was decided to compile a list of alien species of aquatic organisms by the Institute of Zoology of the Republic of Moldova together with the Institute of Hydrobiology of the NAS of Ukraine, as well as prepare a proposal with a list of sites for potential restoration of old channels in the Dniester basin.
More detailed information you can find below:
- Protocol of the meeting on development of flood risk management plans (Chisinau, Moldova 23.07.2019).
- Protocol of the joint meeting of the Moldovan-Ukrainian working group on emergency situations (Chisinau, Moldova, 23.07.2019).
- Protocol of a joint meeting of the Moldovan-Ukrainian working group on ecosystems and biodiversity (Dobrivliany, Ukraine, 13-24 July 2019).
You might also like:
- GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL FACILITY SUPPORTED IMPLEMENTATION OF THE FIRST EXEMPLARY PROJECT ON SMALL RIVER RESTORATION IN UKRAINE
- XIII International Basin Competition “Colours of the Dniester” has started with a motto “Save Biodiversity – Preserve Nature’s Palette!”
- MOLDOVA AND UKRAINE ADVANCE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE DNIESTER RIVER BASIN TREATY THROUGH OSCE, UN, GEF SUPPORT